Tag Archives: toronto-centre

And nothing changes

45adc339c8799cb8b5104bade9230c6aAs you find from the table in three of the four by-elections the winning candidate won by a plurality and only one got a majority. Combined the winning candidates got less then 50% of the votes cast. With the Dual Electoral System the top two get elected and the votes cast for all others will go to one of these two elected candidates. In the by-elections the top two candidates got 85% of the votes cast so those voters get represented by their first choice and the other 15% of the vote will go to one of these so those voters get represented in Parliament by a secondary choice for MP.

Elected

Top two

Others

Bourassa

48%

79%

21%

Brandon-souris

44%

87%

13%

Provencher

58%

88%

12%

Toronto-centre

49%

85%

15%

All four ridings

49%

85%

15%

Advertisements

By-elections part 2

A re-BobRae-HiRes-1282x1750posting of an earlier post. Here’s another way of setting the by-elections for Bourassa (Denis Coderre) and Toronto Centre (Bob Rae) independent of the Prime Minister. There would be four set election dates, which would be three months apart on which you would hold any by-elections. For example the set election dates could be the first Monday in the months of March, June, September, and December. When a Commons seat goes vacant the Speaker of the House informs the Chief Electoral Officer of the vacancy and the By-election would be on the second set election date after the seat goes vacant. If Coderre had waited 2 days the by-elections for Bourassa and Toronto Centre would of been on Monday December 2. All by-elections would be 3 to 6 months after a seat goes vacant. When the Partisan kiddies fight over the election date toy you take it away from them! Barry.